Friday, August 21, 2015

My Happy Place

Dear Max,

Recently you have become very concerned with my favorite things and if they change from day to day.  "Mommy.  what's your favorite color?  Is it yellow today like yesterday?"  "Mommy.  Is playing with me your favorite thing to do today?"  "Mommy.  Do you like to do crafts today?"  And very recently you asked me what my happy place is and I gave you several answers and you were puzzled that I couldn't give you one, definitive Happy Place.

I understand this is so confusing for you.  "Mommy.  We Rock is still my happy place today.  Is We Rock your happy place today?"   So many places make me so happy for so many reasons.


Before you, anything having to do with the fall in New England was my happy place.  Not Pumpkin Spiced flavored everything, but real fall.  The air when you could feel the last rays of the summer sun slipping away.  The crunching of leaves on my shoes.  The smell of wood stoves and cinnamon and apples.  The taste of real cider at Clydes.  

Before you it was lazy days in the pool.  It was long sips of wine and fancy dinners with your dad that lasted hours...and we both got to use both of our hands to eat as opposed to  coloring on the backs of menus.  

Before you, it was long road trips with playlists not featured in a Disney/Pixar film.  Stuck in a car with snacks and friends and figuring things out along the way.  The boardwalk in Atlantic City.  A trip to the Beach off of Savannah Tybee Island.  A jaunt to the original KFC in Kentucky.  A hike up a mountain in Tennessee.

And then you came.  And my concept of favorite was forever changed.

It's brushing the sand off of your legs and feet after we went treasure hunting on the beach.  Paying for another ride on the train at the zoo.  Waiting in line for 30 minutes for you to meet a character at Disneyworld. It's your little hand that so earnestly wraps itself around my index and middle finger for protection.   It's home.  It's the nightly routine of you taking a bath and making up stories for your toys.  Of it being 90 degrees outside and you telling me "I'm freezing" so that you're 'forced' to lay heart to heart with me as I breathe in your shampoo and you fumble my necklace and we talk about our adventures.  It's the sleepy face you give me as you beg me "One more story." "please sing me Rainbow Connection/Over the Rainbow/Imagine one more time mommy."  And I always relent.  It's the amazing, glorious, wonderful sound of your squealing laughter as we 'race' to see who can make it to the ice cream first or when I tickle you so hard you seem to not be able to breathe.  It's the times when only my kisses can cure your boo boos and worries.  Where my hugs solve all of your big problems.  


And so my sweet, amazing little boy.  My happiest place is you.  Wherever you are and whatever you're doing.  That is my new happy place.  

I love you.  As you are.  Completely.
Mommy


Until Soon,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment