Thursday, August 6, 2015

We Rock The Spectrum

For any of you who follow me on any sort of social media or anyone who has talked to me for more than 15 seconds, you should know by now that I take mommyhood seriously.  I don't mean the "let's debate about vaccines and carseats until we hate each other" seriously, but the "let's find fun activities and play and learn together" kind of seriously.

And every once in a while, I come across a real gem of a place to take Max on an adventure.  Thank you to Macaroni Kid, I found "We Rock the Spectrum" right in Boca Raton.  (P.S. If you have yet to meet Joyce or sign up for Macaroni Kid, if you're a stay at home parent or not, you're missing out and get on that here.)

The moment we walked into "We Rock The Spectrum," I knew we stumbled into something really special.  As the name suggests, the kid's gym is well equipped and prepared to handle every child on the spectrum. Their motto is "Finally a Place Where You Never Have To Say I'm Sorry" is something they also take very seriously.  Far too often as parents we find it necessary to apologize for our child's behavior.  "I'm sorry. He's tired."  "I'm sorry, She is going through a phase."  "I'm sorry.  He was sick last week/going through a growth spurt/teething/Autistic/ ADHD/Non Verbal/Too Smart for his own good."   I was reminded gently several times simply that "He's 3.  stop apologizing."  And while all of us tend to apologize for our child simply because we expect perfection, it's nice to be reminded that there are a lot of people in the same boat as us.


We were greeted by a warm, energetic and friendly staff.  The "coaches" as they're referred to, are above all else, patient and kind.  If I have never mentioned it before, it takes Max about 20 minutes to warm up to new places.  But at "We Rock," he immediately was ready to go.  He was interested in their zip line and one coach helped him by holding him and walking slowly with him down the line.  After about four or five tries this way, Max was riding by himself at full speed...and unfortunately for that coach, he ended up riding about 40 times.


There is also a large trampoline, plenty of toys to share, an Arts & Crafts corner and a bevvy of swings.  There is even a hammock that was very tempting for this momma!  The best part is hands down the crowd.  I've taken Max on more than his share of adventures and never felt as immediately welcomed as I was at "We Rock."  And not just by the staff which is saying a lot.  Several of the other parents and nannies were equally as kind as the staff and happily stuck up conversations with the new people.  It was  really refreshing to have such a wonderful experience.


We Rock the Spectrum is open everyday and runs specials on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays with all day open play.  They often offer fantastic deals on membership for their classes and will be offering music and story times in the very near future.  Siblings are also discounted.  They also host many events and update their social media frequently with upcoming specials, events and all around fun.  You should follow them here.  Then pack a lunch and some socks and meet us there.

Max With Owner, Gail.
As I laid Max down tonight, I kissed him and as usual, he asked me if we were having an adventure tomorrow.  "Of course buddy.  Do you want to know where we're going?"  He sleepily nodded yes.  "We're going to go to the gym with the zipline!"  "Mommy! I love that adventure! I have so many friends there and it's so fun and I love it and thank you!"  I think it's safe to say, we found our new happy place.
Max and two of the coaches at We Rock


Until Soon,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment