Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Big Trip

Max and I recently took a big adventure to the midwest to visit my family.  This was my first trip with him solo so the airport was very nerve wracking.  Carrying a carseat and holding his hand was tough but totally worth it.  Aside from a minor hiccup with the car rental, we were off on a really big, amazing adventure.  

We started in Chicago where my cousin who also happens to be one of my closest friends, Allison, lives.  She recently got her first big girl, post college job and is living in the cutest little place near Wrigley.  She was nice enough to open her home to us for several nights.  The next day my mother's four sisters\(including Allison's mom) picked us up and brought us to the zoo.  It was a bit hot but pretty amazing and much larger than our zoo back home.  
That's not a real lion.
We were then off to spend time in East Chicago, Indiana with my father's family.  Including my grandmother who can still throw down some pretty amazing Polish food.  The kind that sticks to your ribs and makes you sleep like it's Thanksgiving.  And also you feel a bit guilty for liking it so much.  Max even cleared two plates!

Our adventure then left us off to Lowson, MI to visit my cousin, Juli, who has two girls, Amelia and Adeline who are around Max's age.  She welcomed us into her beautiful, new home in the country.  Legit country as in driving through vineyards and zero cellphone service.  Which was actually really awesome.  It forced us to do things like...talk.  Max and Amelia hit it off like they were old friends,  It was sad to go the next morning, but we can't wait to go back for a follow up visit.

The next day we headed to Chesterton, Indiana where my mom would be meeting up with Max and I to visit with her side of the family for the reminder of our trip.  This also included a super fun adventure in Chicago again for some real sight seeing.  We visited Millennium Park, home of the famous Bean, a brand new park and a splash area. The evening was topped off with a picnic in the park and a very sleepy boy on the ride home.



While we visited all of my family...cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.  The most important thing we did was visit my Grandmother with my mom there.  She's in an Assisted Living facility and time seems to be going too fast these days.  It's important to me that Max gets to know her in person.  He always knew who she was through stories and pictures, but I wanted him to have some solid, concrete memories of her.  

There's a saying that goes "Do not send flowers to my funeral.  Do not come and visit my grave.  Do not mourn for the conversations we never had.  Send me flowers today for me to put on my table.  Visit my home and listen to my stories.  Call me and talk to me when you have a moment.  Time is cruel and unrelenting. Today is beautiful and I am here."  That has been sticking with me more in recent weeks.  While we may not have had the funds, I simply explained to my husband that I will regret every chance I never took to get a four generation photo.  Being awesome and supportive, he made that whole week happen for us.  And I was able to get this:
Worth. Every. Penny.

Until Soon,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment