Sunday, September 20, 2015

Tot School Week 2- Letter X, #1

This week, Max learned the letter "X".  As I explained last week, we're learning our letters out of order and I figured I'd get a tough one out of the way.  By tough I mean that there simply are not a whole lot of words that start with the letter X.  

One of the things we started last week that I failed to mention was our hand print book.  I found this awesome site and kind of ran with it.  Last week we made an alligator and this week we made an "X-Ray"


I do this on standard card stock usually on Monday or Tuesday each week.  Once it dries, I put them in a 3 ring binder.  I also date each one so I can see how much Max grows throughout the year.  Yeah.  I'm sappy like that.  


We read a bunch of great books this week.  Max picked out 12 at the library that we got through.  He recently has become very interested in books that have actual photos so we read several of those.  Again, there are not too many words that begin with the letter X so we had to settle for a lot of book titles that just use the letter.
  
  Our "X" books this week were:

1.  Xavier Ox's Xylophone Experiment-Barbara deRubertis
2.  Fox in Socks- Dr. Seuss
3.  Jessica's X-Ray- Pat Zonta
4.  Hattie and the Fox- Mem Fox
5.  Taxi Dog- Debra Barracca
6.  My Mom Has X-ray Vision- Angela McAllister


My Mom Has X-ray Vision was our favorite book this week.  We talked about what superpower we would have.  Max said he would want to fly and be really strong like the hulk and his super name would be "Super Maxy Boy."  I can't argue.  Max responded really well to this book...who doesn't love a good superhero story?  Since we try to do an art project with all of our books, we made daddy some new art for his office:

Those are the Avengers.  Obviously.


One of our Montessori trays this week was so successful, Max has been pulling it out all week and weekend.  He thought it was a game (point 1 for mommy).  I took some of his cars and labeled them with the letters and numbers we were working on in all different colors.  I then labeled the tray in corresponding colors.  He had to "park" the cars in their rightful spots.  This seriously took me maybe 5 minutes to put together and has literally provided hours of entertainment. 


  


We also tried out yoga at our favorite place, We Rock the Spectrum in Boca.  If you haven't gone with your little(s) yet, you are really missing out.  The class is fantastic and we will be attending every week.  We even have used the breathing and relaxation techniques we learned throughout the week.  Max has also been walking around the house saying "mamastay."  He'll get it. :)




One of the special events we did this week was celebrating National Play-Doh day.  Play-doh is incorporated in our trays often.  Sometimes we "trace" letters and numbers with it, sometimes we use a pizza cutter to build practical life skills with it, the possibilities are pretty endless.   We went to a local library where they had fun activities set up for all the kids.  Max and I made this awesome dinosaur flying a kite. 

Side Note:   People always ask me where I get my ideas for activities for Max during the week.  The library is usually my first resource.  Not only does it give Max something to do, it's free (my favorite price),  but I take the opportunity to talk to other parents and swap ideas.  I cannot reiterate enough that the social aspect of home schooling requires work on your part, but if you start doing it, you'll meet enough people where you can easily fill your week up simply by sharing ideas.  




The science project that we did this week dealt with absorption.  It took not much preparation but provided a solid hour of quiet (ie, laundry folding time).  It's called "Walking Water."  Check the pin out here.  We did yellow and blue to make Max's favorite (this week) color, green.  We were both pretty amazed.




I'm looking forward to the upcoming week.  I have a lot of really really ideas and games planned so stay tuned.

But before I go, every time I talk to someone they ask if they can share my blog, comment on it, etc.  The answer is a resounding yes.  Please, PLEASE share.  Comment, post, ask me questions, give me ideas to write about or tips to try.  I'm here and I'm listening.  

Until Soon,
Kate

  


No comments:

Post a Comment